[CakeML-dev] location in HOL parser

Ramana Kumar Ramana.Kumar at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Feb 7 01:35:11 UTC 2017

Having read about it a little bit, I don't think we would need to go
to anything as heavyweight as git submodules or using the repo tool.
The only thing we would need to do is:
- Add a HOL repo SHA to the CakeML repo (e.g., in some file)
- Make the regression test build HOL at that SHA
This would replace the status quo of "CakeML should be built with
whatever is the tip of HOL4's master" with "CakeML should be built
with the version of HOL4 indicated <here>".
Advantage: decouple breaking HOL changes from CakeML fixes
Disadvantage: a little more bookkeeping work required for local clones
(must keep your HOL clone matching the desired CakeML clone) and
someone should update the SHA from time to time (maybe only when
necessary) - arguably these things are already happening in a less
explicit way though