[CakeML] ML semantics

Scott Owens S.A.Owens at kent.ac.uk
Tue Jul 26 08:55:07 UTC 2016

If you’re generally interested in the small step semantics, it’s based on the CEK machine. We only used it for the type soundness proof because it was customary to do such proofs in the small-step setting (although usually for abstract machines with substitution rather than closures).

I’m currently working on making all of the system directly use the functional big step semantics — in the style of the ESOP ’16 paper — on the fbs-type-sound branch. Work is nearing completion and I hope to merge with master soon. We are keeping the relational big-step and the small-step semantics (and equivalence proofs) in an alt_semantics subdirectory, so that people who prefer to understand CakeML’s semantics with those still can, but I don’t plan to use them in our formal proofs.

Scott