[CakeML] cakeML build fails

Magnus Myreen magnus.myreen at cl.cam.ac.uk
Tue Jan 14 21:24:13 UTC 2014

On 15 January 2014 08:09, Konrad Slind <konrad.slind at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Magnus. I will do as you suggest.
>
> I haven't absorbed your last point yet, so this is half-baked,
> but I can imagine using the compiler to generate executables
> that get linked in with I/O components coming from (say) a pre-existing
> C library, so that the repl is not involved at all. Is that a possbile
> scenario for cakeML?

Not currently, no. We aren't able to produce stand-alone executables.
The invariants haven't been set up for the compiler to be used as a
stand-alone thing. Hmmm... Do you have some specific application in
mind? I'm guessing you'd like a foreign function interface.

Regarding pre-existing C libraries: the current implementation of
CakeML uses C's getc and putc for I/O, but these are code pointers
that are passed into the verified blob of machine code and the proofs
make assumptions about these code pointers (e.g. a call to putc puts
the input char onto some output stream and then returns control
according to the C calling convention). The C code that wraps the
verified code (asm_code.s) is here, in case you want to see it:

https://github.com/xrchz/vml/blob/master/x86-64/wrapper/wrapper.c

Cheers,
Magnus